Easy Moving Checklist.
Please review these Tips to get your move off to a great start and help you get ready to move.
- First ! – Call U-Save Moving and Storage – (800) 818-0447
- Prepare your electronics for the move. Call your cable , telephone and utility companies several days before you move to plan the shut off and turn on of vital services.
- Try to unplug all electronics (including TV’s) about 24 hours before the move date. This gives them time to cool off and discharge static electricity.
- Make sure that sidewalks and driveways are cleared off and clutter free to avoid additional unnecessary labor charges. Don’t pay the movers to clear off your driveway or your sidewalk.
- To ensure their safety , have children and pets moved to another location or stay with relatives during the moving process.. This will make sure they don’t get stepped on or hurt by the moving process.
- Start your packing with a last minute box to put all the small essentials in needed before and after the move. Include things like Real estate information, Locks, keys, Dog leash, cell phone, etc.
- Get your belongings ready to move. Dust top shelves and under bookcases. Clean out couches and chairs, clean off the tops of refrigerators and etc. Again, preparing one or two weeks in advance saves you time and money in the long run because you won’t pay labor charges to moving staff to do things other than moving your belongings.
- Don’t over pack boxes, a good rule of thumb is “The heavier the item, the smaller the box.”
- Begin packing up items you will not need as soon as you know you are moving.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Label your boxes by Room. Write details on the boxes on all sides and the top.
- Do not interlock the box tops. Protect your goods and seal them with packing tape.
- Minimize breakage. Pack and unpack over a padded surface.
- Lampshades and fine breakables should not be packed in newspaper due to the possibility of ink staining. Use bubble wrap or padded paper instead.
- Clear out unwanted goods – hold a garage sale.
- Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers and so on.
- Clothes – do you need them all? Charity shops may want them.
- Separate books – disposable, family reading, valuable.
- Check all electrical goods – will they work in the new home?
- Start making up your change of address list.
- Arrange to have mail forwarded.
- Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone and other main suppliers.
- If you are taking electrical goods such as a stereo, see if you still have their original boxes.
- Have rugs cleaned.
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Round up personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, driving licenses and so on.
- Keep passports separate so they are not packed.
- Want to take the car? Check on import regulations and the duty payable.
- With regards to family pets– make sure vaccinations and documentation are up to date.
- Will your new home be ready? If not, you need to arrange temporary storage.
- Shops, schools, theaters, life styles – it’s never too early to find out about your new home.
- Start running down freezer stocks.
- Arrange your finances – close or transfer bank accounts, savings accounts and so on, if necessary.
Don’t Take Our Word for It…
Our customers are thrilled to recommend us – and not just in writing…on YouTube!
Get a Free Quote on Your Next Move
We’ll exceed your expectations at a reasonable price that you can rely on. No hidden fees, no shady low-balled estimates. Sign up for a free estimate and get a reliable quote from a professional moving consultant. We’ll come by at your convenience and custom tailor a quality move to fit all of your needs.